February 1, 2017: New Indonesian visa regulations and procedures have prompted us to temporarily suspend sending new volunteers to ASRI. We are working with the Indonesian government to understand the new requirements and hope to restart our volunteer program as soon as possible. We are not currently processing new volunteer applications, but please complete the form below indicating your interest in applying; once procedures have been clarified, we will contact you. For more information, please read the statement on our blog.
Do you want to engage in meaningful globally-minded service work? Volunteering at ASRI means investing your time where conservation and community health meet hand-in-hand in Sukadana, Indonesia. Gunung Palung National Park is home to 10% of remaining Bornean orangutans and is surrounded by more than 60,000 community members whose lives depend on the rain forest ecosystem.
Health In Harmony recruits skilled volunteers to work alongside staff at ASRI in West Kalimantan, Indonesia. Starting with just two volunteers in 2007, our program has grown exponentially with over 200 volunteers sent to ASRI to date. Our volunteer’s specialties are diverse, ranging from medical practitioners, nurses, dentists, photographers, and engineers to organic farmers, restoration biologists, and animal husbandry specialists. Yet they are all connected by the belief and understanding that human health and environmental health are inextricably linked.
Here are some past projects volunteers have done:
- Reforesting an orangutan corridor in Gunung Palung National Park
- Medical training for doctors at the ASRI clinic
- Training in animal husbandry to strengthen Goats for Widows program
- Bird biomonitoring in the reforestation sites
- Installing water wells for rural villages
- Midwifery training for midwives in the region
- Data collection for Health In Harmony’s monitoring and evaluation projects
- Translation and interpretation between English and Indonesian
- Documenting ASRI’s programs through photography
If you’d like to learn about volunteer opportunities in the United States, please also contact amy [at] healthinharmony.org or check out our Opportunities page. If you’d like to donate your time in other ways, please check out our Other Ways to Give.
*Photo credit: Chelsea Call, Kinari Webb, Michelle Bussard